Serving : 2-3 Person (around 15 idlis)
- 1 1/2 Cup Broken Rice
- 1/2 Black Gram Dal (Urid Dal) (Without Skin)
- 1 Tablespoon Yogurt (Curd)
- 1 Teaspoon Fruit Salt (Eno)
- Wash Rice and Urid Dal seperately and soak them for atleast 3-4 hours.
- Drain the Rice and Dal and grind it in a mixer grinder to a smooth paste using little water at a time.
- Make the batter to a pouring consistency.
- Add 1 Tablespoon warm curd (microwave it for 2-3 mins) and mix it nicely.
- Cover the batter and place the container in a warm place to ferment for 6-8 hours.
- The batter almost doubles up.
- Add Salt and Fruit Salt and mix it well.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of batter to greased idli mould and fill up rest of the mould in the same way.
- Leave some space in the mould for Idli to puff up.
- Steam Idli in an Idli Cooker for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the mould from cooker and allow it to cool for a Minute and then demould idli using a butter knife.
- Serve hot steam idlis with coconut chutney and sambhar.
- You can grind rice and urid dal into a coarse flour and store it in an air tight container for frequent use. The proportion of rice to dal will be 3:1 . Add warm curd and water to the flour and allow it to ferment for 6-8 hours, this will cut down the time of soaking rice and urid dal seperately.
- Cover the idlis in a moist muslin cloth to keep idlis soft for a longer time.
Keywords: Idly, Idli, Idlee, idali, iddly, idlis, iddli